Re: New models for email (Re: e2e)

At 19:26 21-08-2007, Douglas Otis wrote:
Why change?  When a sender is suspected of spamming, the receiving
MTA could limit exchanges to Transfer By Reference instead of issuing
an ultimately more expensive refusal or message acceptance.  In the
case of TBR, SMTP would be limited to just exchanging an HTTP message
reference within the SMTP envelope.  This separate HTTP channel
provides both delivery confirmation, and ensures the validity of the
reference.

This would also apply to the case of unknown senders, I gather. If so, we'll see more Transfer By Reference (TBR) messages. We won't have the entire message to make a proper assessment. The receiver could however use a reputation system or other means to tell whether he/she wants to accept the message from the sender.

As the message reaches the MDA, the MDA would have the option to
proxy access via BURL, fetch the message and revert to a normal SMTP
form, or convert the reference into a pseudo message compatible with
MUAs where recipients decide whether a message is to be accessed.
TBR does not prevent spam, however it significantly lowers the
recipient's burden and provides a simple means for avoiding unwanted
or spoofed messages.  Details will follow in a draft.

Your proposal pushes storage costs to the sender side. It does introduce a delay in the communication which may put off some people who have the expectation of "IM".

Instead of using HTTP, the retrieval could be requested at the recipient's end by having the MUA send a message to the receiver's server. That server would then initiate a transaction based on the sending address to request delivery of the complete message. Compared to your HTTP channel method, there's much more delay here. But we don't require a direct path to retrieve the message content. There is another disadvantage. The sending server cannot tell at the outset whether the final hop will only accept this type of transaction instead of a normal delivery for the sender/receiver pair.

The cost of deployment is high as the above requires servers and MUAs to be upgraded. There's also the question of abuse which hasn't been explored.

Regards,
-sm