Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

    > From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@xxxxxxxxx>

    > Well lot's of people still think things like "why would home users ever
    > subnet" ...
    > At some point you stop wanting to have all those devices on the same
    > network if for no other reason than to keep your multicast HD video
    > streams from clobbering your ip phones

Umm, perhaps I'm confused here, but I thought bog-standard Ethernet bridges
did destination-based filtering (i.e. they don't forward a packet to
destination D through to interface X if it has been heard from on interface Y,
meaning it's in the Y direction). I.e. they don't flood traffic to all
connected segments, only send it towards the actual pdestination.

In other words, a mesh of standard Ethernet bridges already allows you to
partition traffic between the segments, without the need to do configuration
of routers. (Yes, you do have to arrange the connectivity so that voice
traffic doesn't have to go over the HD video network to get to the site exit
router, but that's true whether the devices in question are bridges or
routers.)

And if that's true, then a /64 would be fine for the average home user. Am I
missing something?

	Noel