Re: [manet] Last Call: draft-ietf-manet-iana (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Allocations for the Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANET) Working Group) to Proposed Standard

Ian Chakeres wrote:
> Comments inline.
>
> On 8/10/07, Bo Berry <bberry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks for the responses Teco (separate email) and Ian.
>>
>> Ian Chakeres wrote:
>>> The decision to allocate one port was discussed in the MANET group. We
>>> chose to reserve a single port to allow multiple protocols to be used
>>> together. For example, it is extremely likely that NHDP will be used
>>> with both DYMO and OLSRv2.
>>>
>>> Before you voiced your suggestion to allocate an IP protocol number,
>>> the issue has never arisen. Unless there is WG support to allocate an
>>> IP protocol number, I do not think it will be allocated.
>> OK. Perhaps the WG should discuss it before we discount it.
>
> This issue is open for discussion, but as I mentioned I do not think
> there is sufficient WG support. I personally do not think asking for
> both a UDP port and an IP protocol number is good for ensuring
> interoperability - and this is the main reason we have requested the
> IANA allocations in this document.

I think running a routing protocol over UDP is less efficient
than directly over IP.  As long as the rough consensus is
happy w/ UDP, I'll chill-out.

If the MANET protocols will be UDP and packetbb based, should
the text in packetbb be modified to be more specific?

   ""The packets defined by this specification are designed to carry a
   number of messages between in a single transmission.  The packets may
   be unicast or multicast and may use any transport protocol (TCP, UDP,
   ...) appropriate to the protocol using this specification and may
   travel over a single logical hop which might consist of one or more
   IP hops.  When the diffusion mechanism enabled by this specification
   is employed, UDP may be most appropriate.""

>From my read, there is confusion when a draft trys to remain
so generic in one sense and then specific in another. Perhaps
it is just me and the pieces will come together in due time.