Re: on the value of "running code" (was Re: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "David Conrad" <drc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: on the value of "running code" (was Re: Do you want to have more
meetings outside US ?)

> David Conrad wrote:
> > I'd offer that the OSI protocol stack was probably significantly more
> > reviewed than the TCP/IP stack.
>
> Depends what you mean by "more reviewed".
>
> More eyes looking at the specs?  Probably yes.  More critical analysis by
> senior technical architects?  Probably not.
>
>  > At the very least, running code is an empirical proof that an
>  > architecture _can_ work.
>
> Again, depends upon what one means by running code.
>
> Certainly there were early prototypes of OSI modules, and even running
> products.  Clearly, that was not enough.  In contrast, the Internet code was
> deployed and used in a running service, with increasing scale.  So the
> distinction between prototype and production is probably of fundamental
> importance.  (I think that Dave Clark really meant "running service" when he
> said "running code".)

OSI got well beyond the prototype stage.  Major manufacturers produced products
and I was involved with their implementation.  From c.1990 to c.1995 we all knew
that, with such a weight of political pressure behind it, OSI was bound to sweep
all before it.  By 1995, the tide had turned, but it was not the lack of
interoperable, production software that did the turning.

Tom Petch