Re: Beggars _can_ be choosers?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:55:12AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> DHCP, in particular, strikes me as a nightmare - a hodgepodge of
> unrelated attributes, many of which have no business being dictated to
> hosts by the network.  gluing DHCP to DNS creates another set of
> problems, also based on dubious assumptions about the relationship
> between a host's identity and the attachment point of a host to the
> network.  and this all strikes me as a consequence of developing network
> configuration protocols "organically", i.e. without much forethought.

We clearly have a very different perception of reality.

> more broadly, I wish there were a better feedback path from operators to
> IETF to take advantage of the breadth of operational experience.  it's
> not as if the incidents occurring in IETF meeting networks are typical;
> it's just that we experience them directly and as a group rather than
> indirectly or as individuals.

Contrarily, we should specifically seek not to make decisions about
events that have affected us personally, because we have biases in our
position towards recommended changes.

That is, it further closes the gap on making IETF protocols designed
explicitly for operation at IETF meetings, and nowhere else.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.