Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

	from what we have exchanged, the only things we do not agree with each
	other are:
	- you do not believe IPv4/v6 mixed environment would work, or too tough
	  to make it work that it is not justifiable.  also you see some problem
	  in nodes with multiple addresses.
	- i do believe it would work ok

> > 	if you are not under NDA, could you please be more specific?  source
> > 	code, RFC/draft for the protocol, whatever?  i'm getting tired of this
> > 	guessing games.
> >
> what do you want me to do, describe in detail every distributed
> application that I've ever worked with?  I'm not talking about any
> specific application, I'm generalizing from several applications that
> I've worked with and/or am otherwise familiar with.

	when you generalize things you might have missed some of the details,
	so if you could please send me pointers to details (privately).

> > 	once you run ALG (which i guess you do not like) IPv6-to-IPv4 or IPv4-to-
> > 	IPv6 looks much like SMTP relaying.
> true.  ALGs are okay for applications that have explicit intermediaries,
> like SMTP.   I don't like ALGs so much when they're used as interception
> proxies.  sometimes they work okay, sometimes not.

	yup.

> > 	do not underestimate my paranoid-ness, i'm an OpenBSD developer
> somehow, I think this should be on a t-shirt,  or a bumper sticker.  :)

	heh, maybe.

> agree with all of those.  but it sounds like you're close to arguing
> that because there are so many other things that can screw with DNS,
> it's okay for getaddrinfo() to return bogus results too.

	i did not say that.  what i was trying to say are below:
	- you said that you do not trust getaddrinfo/getnameinfo but you seem to
	  trust other DNS functions/responses.
	- under what kind of condition would you trust DNS, and would you not?
	- are you sure it is ok when you trust it?

> > 	ok, so you are basically worried about uRPF, performance difference,
> > 	and/or firewalling policy differences when you have multiple exit links.
> >
> it's not just multiple exit links, it's having multiple addresses per
> host for any number of reasons.  (mobility, renumbering, the desire to
> have stable local addresses, and also the possibility of multiple active
> network interfaces)

	note that "client machines with multiple IP address" has been a
	common practice even for IPv4, more than 15 years at least.  i had the
	first laptop when i was in university, i ran 386BSD (4.4BSD) so that
	makes it around 15 years ago.

	mobility - i do not see your problem, maybe mobile-ip6 guys would
		want to speak up
	renumbering - multiple address DO help
	stable local address - well, define "stable"
	multiple active network interfaces - it is a common practice,
		use MacOS X machines with wireless and ethernet and switch them
		over time.  TCP connection would not survive, which is a problem,
		but other than that, things are seamless (like browsers).

> > 	do not take it as a self-promotion, but my take on this is in RFC3178.
> >
> but things like RFC 3178 do help.  if we can get back to the expectation
> that one address per host is the normal case, we'll make life much
> simpler for application writers.

	the thing is, application writers does not really need to choose
	addresses to be used, as long as you write a program/protocol spec
	so that it does not embed IPv4/v6 addresses or DNS names.  if you
	embed it, you would want to use DNS names instead of IPv4/v6 addresses,
	as you will want your application to work ok with the next protocol
	that would be introduced after IPv6.  i would not call it IPv8 :-P

> > 	so i can solve problem for Skype, so i guess i can solve problem for
> > 	your "distributed computation system".  want to hire a consultant? :-P
> >
> I can solve it too, and have done so on a couple of occasions.  but I
> don't pretend that it's easy to retro-fit every existing distributed
> application (or to build every new distributed application) to handle
> multiple realms.  NATs have drastically raised the burden on
> applications by dividing the Internet up into multiple address realms;
> similarly, IPv4/IPv6 coexistence also divides the Internet up into
> multiple address realms.  Thus a "mixed" IPv4/IPv6 network is almost as
> dysfunctional as a NATted IPv4 network.

	ok, i can understand your concern, but we need to do it anyways.
	unlike the introduction of IPv4, you cannot set a flag day, can you?

itojun