Re: Autoreply

On Jul 13, 2007, at 05:09, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 13-jul-2007, at 8:00, Ken Raeburn wrote:

That doesn't help much, because then we all still get private vacation messages. Please kick these people off the list.

Shutting off their list email when we don't need to seems kind of drastic.

So people who are SO inconsiderate that they not only send vacation messages for messages sent to mailinglists, which is clearly extremely undesirable behavior, but even worse, send those messages to the LIST, should be spared all possible inconvenience?

Certainly not. But that doesn't mean we need to be equally inconsiderate in response, when a small amount of effort can produce results nearly as good -- or better.

For example, if all the "out of office autoreply:" messages to the list get thrown out automatically, the issue never comes up for a certain subset of the people we're talking about. Rejecting all messages with "autoreply" subjects also takes care of a portion of the problem. Those probably require a little more effort than unsubscribing a list member, but it should be much less than unsubscribing everyone who runs a lame autoresponder over the course of the next year.

Of course, those only deal with automatic replies to the list itself, not to individual posters.

The effort required to implement "set digest flag for recipient, add recipient to auto-reject list, and send this form letter" would be more than a couple minutes' development work, at least for someone not intimately familiar with mailman, but need happen only once (unless it's tightly integrated into mailman, the upstream developers don't incorporate it, the next release requires rewriting it, etc). If it's done right, invoking it when individuals complain to the list admins about a subscriber should be about as easy as unsubscribing the person. Similar effort could streamline the restoring of a subscriber's posting rights when they return (and let them fix the digest setting, if they care). Adding a new "no-send" flag that is changeable by the subscriber, and when set prevents them from sending to the list, would be a bit more work, but would remove the second half of the ongoing imposition on the list admins.

If stopping all mail to these recipients is deemed to be the only way, then setting the "too many bounces" flag and letting mailman send its occasional reminders about the suspended account is probably friendlier than simply removing the address.

That's assuming the list admins are going to go ahead and change one person's subscription based on another person's complaint, without verifying the problem themselves. You could automate the whole "send probe message and suspend account on receipt of autoreply" process, if you wanted to try to streamline that part of the list admin job.

I have no idea how many people use mail systems that send autoreplies to the individual contributors. Certainly I haven't been deluged with such replies in response to my recent messages here.

Granted, none of my solutions prevent the user from restoring his non- digest posting-allowed configuration and then going off on vacation again, just as unsubscribing someone doesn't prevent him from re- subscribing and going off on vacation again. Though bouncing all the autoreply messages back into his mailbox should provide some incentive for him to fix the problem. (And I suppose in some ways it might be less friendly than unsubscribing, depending on one's perspective, mail server quota, etc.)

Ah, but no, these people are evil -- monstrous -- and must be removed from our sight! Why stop at unsubscribing them? Unsubscribe their friends; unsubscribe their mothers! Let's mailbomb them with copies of RFCs on proper mail system practices, until their servers fall over. That'll teach 'em!

Ken