Re: Application knowledge of transport characteristics (was: Re: Domain Centric Administration)

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 08:53:05AM +0300,
 Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 98 lines which said:

> We have four standards-track transport protocols (UDP, TCP, DCCP and
> SCTP)

We have two standards-track protocols which have a reasonable chance
of being able to go through whatever stuff links your network to the
outside world.

> Designers of applications and higher-layer protocols still have a
> tendency to ignore SCTP and DCCP

Because experience shows them that, unfortunately, they do not cross
most firewalls and NAT devices?

This is, sadly, yet another case of Internet ossification.