Re: Application knowledge of transport characteristics (was: Re: Domain Centric Administration)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ned Freed" <ned.freed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:08 PM
Subject: Application knowledge of transport characteristics (was: Re: Domain
Centric Administration)

> Ned Freed wrote:
> > Keith, while I agree with your general point that applications have no
choice
> > but to be aware of lower layer semantics in many if not most cases, this
last
> > is not a good example of that. There is really no difficulty running SMTP or
> > any other stream oriented protocol on top of a record-based protocol - all
you
> > have to do is ignore the record boundaries and make sure your buffer isn't
> > larger than the maximum record size.
> > The converse is not true, however - you cannot simply slap a protocol that
> > depends on record boundaries onto a stream protocol and expect it to work,
such
> > as MAIL-11 over TCP (not that anyone in their right mind would use MAIL-11
this
> > way...).
>

> I believe this highlights a basic opportunity (need) for the protocol
> engineering community.  Although it applies to any discussion about the
> relationship between layer n and layer n+1 (or, layer n and layer n-1, if you
> want to focus on the upper layer...), it seems to come up most often in
> relation to application/transport discussions:
>
>     How can we discuss the essential services required of the lower layer,
> without worrying about the means by which those services are delivered?  That
> is, how do we discuss the what, without discussing the how?
>
>     Related to that is discussion about lower layer services that supply more
> than is needed, but still suffice.
>
> Your example of record boundaries is useful because TCP's lack of the
> construct used to cause all sorts of problems and hacks.

And perhaps still does.  SNMP and syslog work fine over UDP but both have had to
introduce a 'hack' to work over TCP (as seen in isms and syslog-tls
respectively).  netconf, which has never known UDP but would have been well
suited to it, also has a 'hack'.

But I see the converse too.  TLS defines what it needs of a transport layer and
TCP provides it (and more); UDP does not so DTLS introduces a shim to add some
(but not all) of TCP's features to UDP.

If we had a range of transports (perhaps like OSI offered), we could choose the
one most suited.  We don't, we only have two, so it may become a choice of one
with a hack.  But then that limited choice may be the reason why the Internet
Protocol Suite has become the suite of choice for most:-)

Tom Petch

Another is in the