RE: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

Well you say that you can't do this and that without knowing what you are doing.

A counterexample is the fact that the basic architecture of the most widely used security protocol we have in use today were set by people who did not know what they were doing. They had the good sense to later hire people who did but they had already made the critical choices at that point.

Sure we beat them up for getting the security design wrong (he's talking about an integrity attack, Marc), but they did make a design choice that none of the rest of us who knew better would have done that has in hindsight turned out to be completely right.

A similar set of issues surrounded the Web. The critical invention was 404 Not Found. Scruffy links were the wrong way to do it in 1992 but today we understand that only scruffy can work.

Architecture is about abstraction. Knowing what you can forget is the really important part.