RE: Domain Centric Administration, RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

> From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino [mailto:itojun@xxxxxxxxxx]

> PS: in openbsd community if you do not commit frequently
> enough you will be scolded for being a slacker.

Which is part of where we need to get to.

What I propose is a brand, similar to WiFi that tells a customer, whether home or enterprise that a product:

1) Either
	Will install itself automatically and seamlessly within a network that is under domain centric administration.

	Will do the above, unless the network is not already under domain centric admin in which case it will establish the necessary DNS and DHCP infrastructure to support one (and yes would be nice if this also extended to redundancy).

2) Supports both IPv4 and IPv6 seamlessly.

3) Has a built in device cert and is able to perform 802.1X authentication to the network hub

4) In the case of a wireless device supports a network configuration mechanism that does not involve a user touching a keyboard.

In other words you have the current Internet and the 'it-just-works' Internet. And the IJW-Internet happens to support everything you need for IPv6.

Then on the ISP side a program for accrediting Internet service plans. Again, have them state whether they are delivering IPv6. At present I have Comcast which I am not that happy with. I could swich to Verizon but other folk are even less happy with that. I want to know exactly what level of service the ISP is committing to deliver.

I am even happy to contract terms of the form 'I pay for 1mb/s connection flat rate but others can pay the ISP extra to boost that to 10Mb/sec for a temporary period'. What I am not going to accept is a situation where I pay for 1mb/sec and then the ISP goes to Google to demand that they pay them to provide the service that I already paid for.

The incentives for the consumer here is that they know that the products will just work together and that they are going to get what they paid for.

The only incentive I can see at this point that would encourage a consumer to transition to IPv6 is if it allows them to have home video conferencing that actually works. That is the one thing that NAT effectively breaks that people are likely to care about.