Re: Last Call: draft-hutzler-spamops (Email Submission: Access and Accountability) to BCP

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, John C Klensin wrote:

> Hmm.  Since a few providers, at least one of them quite large,
> have already imposed "find an MUA that supports authentication
> or go elsewhere" requirements without being driven out of the
> marketplace or even suffering any noticeable pain, I didn't
> consider the requirement to be unachievable, unrealistic, or a
> fantasy.  YMMD, of course.

I run a university email system not a free webmail service, so I have to
be rather more accommodating. Still, although all routes in to our main
email service (Hermes) are encrypted and authenticated, we still have a
trad smarthost which is mainly used by departmental MTAs but also by MUAs
when smtp.hermes is not appropriate (e.g. visitors who don't have a Hermes
account).

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
ROCKALL: NORTHERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 AT FIRST. MODERATE OR ROUGH.