Re: Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

>>Yes, I* opinions are afforded special status. They are our chosen
>>leadership, and with leadership comes responsibility. Responsibility
>>to be sure that if the work goes forward, it is well scoped, has a
>>reasonable likelyhood of success, etc. And please remember, the IETF
>>is a meritocracy. So please don't raise the "I* has special status"
>>issue as if it were some kind of unfair or biased way of doing things.

Knowing Thomas pretty well, I think this is just an unfortunate juxtaposition
of two different statements.  The IETF, as a whole, values technical
input (rather than raw voting).  Statements which are backed by analysis,
careful thought, and reasoned arguments will be given more weight
than a +1 on a mailing list.   As 3935 states, the IETF is committed to
taking that input from anyone: "the issues on which the IETF produces its
documents are issues where the IETF has the competence needed to
speak to them, and that the IETF is willing to listen to technically competent
input from any source".  The weight assigned is from all concerned,
but it is up to the working group chair/ADs to assess the community's
reaction to a proposal or other technical input.  They assess, in some form,
how the community weights the technical arguments.  So the IETF
leadership is, in effect, given a responsibility related to that assessment.

That does not mean the IETF leadership is itself a meritocracy; it's not.
The IESG and IAB are picked by NomComs for a variety of skills and
"fit" is a critical one.  Someone who can fit into the team the NomCom is
building may be selected over someone who is equal or better in any or all
of our technical disciplines, because of the need to balance skills, personalities,
and time commitments.  This last is a particularly important point, as the
IETF is led, fundamentally, by people who have the will, time, and resources
to dedicate to that effort.  There will likely always be people who have more
"merit" on some objective scale than those who are selected, but who cannot
serve because they lack time or support.

In assessing an IESG or IAB member's reaction to a document, BoF proposal,
I think we should consider the *time* they put into it; each  has dedicated
significant time to getting an overall context for the IETF, which may involve
knowledge of what the competing proposals for attention are and other
dragons in the upcoming road.  That may give weight to their opinion, but it
has to be matched by time spent on analysis of the specifics.  An IESG member
who puts a discuss on a document with "this feels wrong" is given considerable
pressure to make an actionable statement instead, with a real analysis backing it;
the same is or should be true for statements during a BoF or WG meeting.

For an AD to say: "I don't see community consensus on this, here's how you
could demonstrate it" is more than fair; it is actionable.  For an AD to say
"I don't see how this would get deployment, so I don't want to spend IETF
cycles on it, here's what it would take to demonstrate it could get deployed"
is also actionable.  But neither statement relies on a "meritocracy", they
rely on management.  For *anyone* to say "I don't think this is technically
correct or the optimal solution" will require the same analysis, careful thought,
and reasoned analysis that is the hallmark of good IETF input.  That includes
statements by members of the IESG or IAB.   It will also require follow-up,
and continued engagement on the technical solution; if it doesn't, then the community
needs a statement on why the IESG or IAB don't think the problem is worth
the time. In other words, if there won't be *technical* engagement, there needs
to be a clear management reason given for that.

BoFs have been hard in this space for a long time.  But since they are how the
IETF remains a technical vital, relevant place to do work, I think they are
worth the time it takes to respond to proponents, either technically or as a
management issue, on why they are or are not going forward.

			regards,
				Ted Hardie