Re: Last Call: draft-hutzler-spamops (Email Submission: Access and Accountability) to BCP

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Ned Freed wrote:

> My one concern is with the recommendation that MSAs by default try the
> submit port first and if that fails fall back to port 25. I have no
> problem with recommending a submit port configuration - it's the
> fallback process that concerns me.

In my ideal world, MUAs would auto-configure using a one-off probe and
fallback process, and remember the results in the same way they currently
do after manual configuration. Any subsequent failure should require
manual intervention from the user (even if it's just to confirm a
re-probe) since it might imply that an attack is in progress.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
TRAFALGAR: SOUTHWESTERLY 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5 IN NORTHWEST. SLIGHT OR