Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call

On Wed, 16 May 2007, John C Klensin wrote:

> It seems to me that we have two separate issues here (I'm not
> even going to go so far as "problems"):
>
> (1) Some documents have used the term LWSP in a way that is not
> strictly conformant with the definition in the ABNF document.
>
> (2) From that point of view, it is easy to argue that ABNF has just
> gotten too complex, both as the result of trying to formalize some
> characteristics of 822 while maintaining a single-pass syntax evaluator
> and possibly as a second-system effect.

I thought the problem is that protocols that have used LWSP correctly have
had too many interop problems, so they have replaced it with a simpler
rule such as FWS.

I'm surprised you say ABNF has become too complex. It's hardly changed
apart from removal of the # rule, and if you took anything else out it
would lead to rather less readable grammars.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
NORTH FITZROY SOLE LUNDY FASTNET: WEST OR NORTHWEST 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 OR