Re: [Emu] Last call comments: draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01.txt: EAP channel bindings

Sam,

In skimming through Nico's draft, it looks like EAP's crypto bindings look
something like GSS channel bindings.

EAP's channel bindings, on the other hand, don't really look like GSS
channel bindings.  In order for EAP's channel binding to look like GSS
channel binding, EAP channel binding would have to cryptographically bind
an L2 security association to EAP keys -- but that's not what it's doing.
It's binding L2 identities to EAP keys.  In fact, there's no reason it has
to be an L2 identity.  It can be any identity that's meaningful to the
parties involved, and can serve as the basis for making authorization
decisions.

Perhaps you could abstract the definition of channel bindings even further
such that all three are subsets of some common terminology... but that
sounds painful.

--
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  <>  tcc@xxxxxxx  <>  www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy