Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

"Mark Brown" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Simon,
>
> I filed for patent (Jan and Sep 2005) and later promoted TLS authz (Feb
> 2006) in good faith.  It is possible that the patent claims can be read more
> broadly than I expected, but that's a fairly detailed and unresolved legal
> question.  I am working diligently to -- let me speak carefully -- explore
> if and how I can make a royalty free license grant to ensure that promoting
> TLS authz continues to be an act in good faith, while still protecting a way
> for my company to make money on its IPR.

Thanks for responding, Mark.

In your opinion, what would an implementation have to do
(implementation-wise) in order to infringe on your patent?

Answering this, at least as far as your own informed opinion goes,
would be useful in determining if there is value for the IETF
community in standardizing this.  If typical real-world TLS libraries
in general would infringe on the patent, then I don't see how the IETF
community in general would benefit from having this on the standards
track.  In fact, I see serious problems if the IETF standardize
documents that the wide Internet community cannot use due to patent
concerns.

> I have experienced some surprises when mixing law and Internet standards.
> To try to avoid surprises, I have hired IPR attorneys at two different firms
> to review my draft which proposes a royalty-free license grant.  I expect
> any resulting license will be conditioned upon IETF acceptance of TLS authz
> as a standard.  I hope to have concluded these services next week.

Personally, I believe the temporal ordering should be the reversed.

> I think IPR questions are complicated in part because for some questions
> only a lawsuit can answer the question -- but we should all want to stay
> clear of these kinds of lawsuits!  So answers seem to me to be in short
> supply.

Making your thoughts and opinions clear and public goes a long way to
disseminate the intent behind the patent.  The IETF permits patented
technology, but to make an informed decision how to respond to "do we
want to standardize this" (i.e., the IETF-wide last call) there needs
to be sufficient information available for participants to form an
opinion.

> I want to craft the proposed license to make this situation a little
> clearer than that, but doing so often involves taking risks of
> giving away a huge loophole.  So I'm working to get good legal
> advice.
>
> In short, I am working to create a royalty-free license grant -- hopefully I
> can disclose it next week.  With some luck, it will clarify the situation.

I look forward to reading it!

Best regards,
Simon