RE: Document Action: 'Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X)' to Experimental RFC

> From: Simon Josefsson [mailto:simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Arguments on complexity are too easy to make. Every time a
> proposal is
> > made I hear the complexity argument used against it.
> Everything we do
> > is complex. Computers are complex. Committee process
> usually increases
> > complexity somewhat.
> >
> > If an argument can always be used what is the discrimination power?
>
> How about using answers to the question "Is this complexity needed?"
> as a discriminator?
>
> Sometimes, there is no better solution than one with certain
> complexity.  That isn't inherently bad.
>
> I'm not sure the need for this particular complex solution
> was demonstrated.  I don't recall anyone defending it.  The
> experimental track thus seems appropriate, if it should be
> published at all.

Define 'need'.

Define 'complexity'.

>From my point of view a device that has two parser stacks on it is more complex than a device that can do it all with a single stack. Thus translating SNMP into XML makes excellent sense and reduces complexity overall.

I don't think it makes sense to translate every ASN.1 protocol into XML, particularly if there is an XML infrastructure for the purpose. But I would certainly prefer to be able to support SNMP on an XML centric device without having to provide an ASN.1 stack. Further I would like there to be consistency in the way that SNMP/XML and LDAP/XML to map to the traditional ASN.1 versions.

It's a legitimate architectural approach and the IETF should not take sides against it.