Re: NATs as firewalls

Darryl \(Dassa\) Lynch writes:
> Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>>> There is a major difference between a NAT box plugged into
>>> the real Internet and a NAT box plugged into another NAT
>>> box. It is a pretty ugly one for the residential user.

> I'm afraid it is already happening on a large scale in some parts.
> Here in Australia I've seen multiple ISP's who NAT all residential
> customers.

While I'm not seeing this in the traditional retail (home) ISP market
in my area of Europe, provider-operated NAT is common/prevalent in

* mobile (GPRS/UMTS) Internet access
* public WLANs

Some operators even use the same NAT for both, selling "seamless
roaming" (that doesn't break TCP connections) between WLAN and 3G
service as a feature.
--
Simon.