Re: NATs as firewalls

> > I'm afraid it is already happening on a large scale in some parts.  Here in
> > Australia I've seen multiple ISP's who NAT all residential customers.  Some
> > of them amongst the largest players in the market.  Even some commercial
> > offerings are on NATs.
> >
> I've also encountered a local ISP who is using a NAT between their network
> and the 'world'. So there is at least one US based ISP who has adopted
> this approach.

	Well they are not a ISP as far as I am concerned.   If you
	want you VoIP phone to work (accept calls) you need a real
	address.  Arranging to have VoIP work through a NAT which
	you fully control is hard enough.  Making it work through
	a NAT that you don't control is almost impossible.

	I suppect loss of services that remote / double nat causes
	will be enough to kill this "solution".

	Mark

> Dave Morris

Mark Andrews, ISC