Re: [Dan Harkins] comments on draft-houseley-aaa-key-mgmt-07.txt

  Sam,

  The problem I see is that when AAA is used as a key distribution
protocol there are 3 parties involved (peer, AAA server and authenticator)
and it's a 2 party model. For existing protocols-- the peer is speaking
to a NAS and the NAS obtains a key for the peer from the AAA server-- the
problem of identity lying is somewhat contained. The peer is going to do
a full re-auth when he goes to a new authenticator anyway so the
shenanigans a lying authenticator can do with this key are somewhat
limited.

  But for things like HOKEY or 802.11r they want to have the AAA server
create a key hierarchy rooted off the EMSK or the MSK, respectively, that
contains keys for specific authenticators. These keys are going to be
distributed using AAA (that seems to be the plan) and either proactively
distributed-- "here have a key!"-- or distributed on demand-- "gimme a
key!" The authenticator-specific key gets produced by mixing in some
identity of the authenticator and that key is then sent under the
protection of the security association between the AAA server and the
authenticator.

  The problem is that the identity of the authenticator bound to that
security association is most likely an IP address and the identity that
gets bound into the key has to be something different since the peer
doesn't necessarily know that IP address (imagine an access point with a
wired IP connection to the AAA server and a wireless connection to the
peer, the peer knows the access point by the radio's BSSID and is
completely unaware of anything about the access point's wired port).

  Since there is no binding of identities it allows an authenticator
to say "give me the key for authenticator FOO" even though it is actually
authenticator BAR. For instance the NAS-Id is put into a RADIUS request
to ask for a specific key and the key is sent back protected by the
shared secret bound to the IP address of the authenticator. Since this
network access credential is symmetric all security properties that it
could've had are are lost-- the lying authenticator can impersonate the
client to the real FOO authenticator, it can inject traffic into a
connection between the peer and the FOO authenticator, it can inspect
traffic on a connection between the peer and the FOO authenticator.

  HOKEY wants to distribute keys across domains too so an entity in the
sprint.com network can request a key for the verizon.net network.

  There is nothing in this draft that prohibits such flawed key
distribution protocols. This draft does say that entities MUST be
authenticated and that keying material MUST be bound to a specific
context. It is these two things that proponents of these flawed key
distribution protocols point to as evidence of their compliance to
the "Housley Criteria".

  The 802.11r task group is convinced that as long as there a security
association between the authenticator and AAA server (regardless of the
identity bound to that security association) and as long as they mix
some identity into the key (and again it doesn't really matter whether
that has any relation to the identity of the security association) then
they are assured to be secure. I'm sensing the same trend in HOKEY.

  There needs to be an identity binding of the key that is going to be
generated and distributed. The peer and AAA server (the two parties that
authenticated each other and hold the root of the key hierarchy) have to
agree on who the key is being distributed to. The only text in this draft
that talks about identities deals with the generation of a session key
which takes place AFTER key distribution. That was why I suggested that
text, as a way to effect such a binding.

  I don't think it's problematic for existing protocols because existing
protocols don't include key distribution. I keep on being told that
"AAA is a 2 party protocol!" Fine, we can play that game. The split
between the NAS and AAA server is logical and the NAS functionality and
AAA server functionality can reside on one device. That's existing
protocols today. But when there are multiple authenticators involved we
can't play that game anymore. When AAA is used for key distribution to
multiple distinct entities then I feel we have to meet a new standard.

  Dan.