Re: DNS role (RE: NATs as firewalls, cryptography, and curbing DDoS threats.)

On Mar 7, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Here I was thinking that the DNS needs to be an useful name lookup service for the Internet to function, and now PHB tells me it's a signalling layer.

Either I have seriously misunderstood the nature of "signalling", seriously misunderstood the nature of the DNS, or I have reason to dislike this term.

*shudder*.

Perhaps signaling over simplifies the suggestion, and perhaps Philip sees this differently as well.

Once IPv4 does not offer an identifier for defending against DoS attack, a safe basis could be established with a two step approach using DNS. Verify clients by "name" with a single DNS transaction. This offers a safe identifier that avoids DoS concerns. These identifiers can be subsequently authorized by "name" as well. DNS is well suited to resolve a small answer by name.

One approach for "name" based authorization would place an encoded hash label of the domain name being authorized within the authorizing domain. Client validation can be as simple as resolving the name of the client, where this name can then be utilized in conjunction with a "name" based authorization. In the case of DKIM, DNS also supplies the public key as well.

The concern was to avoid the indirect or reflected attacks DNS can produce, where a simple strategy can avoid these problems.

-Doug