RE: NATs as firewalls

Eliot Lear wrote:
> michael.dillon@xxxxxx wrote:
> >> is a crisis to force action. That will occur sometime after
> >> 2010 when they need more than they already have and find that
> >> the lease price per IPv4 address per day has been moving up
> >> from its current averages of $1/day or $5/day depending on
> >> contract length (a price service providers seem to have no
> >> trouble collecting while the addresses are still Free from
> >> IANA).
> >>

> > IP Addresses are not property and cannot be leased or sold.

You have clearly not been following the efforts in APnic or RIPE to enable
the inevitable trading regime. Despite what policy says people will treat
their allocations as property.

> Can you show me real examples of an RIR repossessing address space?  If
> so, what is stopping them from reclaiming some of those /8s?

The legal costs... While ARIN would have one hell of a court battle trying
to reclaim 18/8, the MIT Office of the President would have no trouble
recognizing they were sitting on a pile of endowed chairs, and would shoot
the entire network staff if necessary to put that block on the market.

Tony