Re: [Ipsec] RE: MUST implement AES-CBC for IPsec ESP

Hi Yaakov,

The following new text has been added to the draft.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manral-ipsec-rfc4305-bis-errata-03.txt

Although there are no suggested or required combined algorithms at
this time,   AES-CCM [RFC4309] and AES-GCM [RFC4106] are of interest.
AES-CCM has been adopted as the preferred mode in IEEE 802.11
[802.11i], and AES-   GCM has been adopted as the preferred mode in
IEEE 802.1ae [802.1ae].

Actually till version02 of the draft, I had a todo list(Appendix A.)
which contained updating the status of new algorithms as one of the
points in the agenda. However as I got no feedback on the same from
the list, I did not go ahead and add any nenw algorithm status.

Thanks,
Vishwas

On 1/22/07, Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yaakov:

>Strangely missing is AES/GCM [RFC4106].
>
>SHOULDn't this be a SHOULD ?

None of the MUST/SHOULD algorithms are authenticated-encryption
algorithms.  This has not been proposed in the past, and it is very
late in the processing of this document to propose it now.

I'm pleased to entertain adding it the next time this document is updated.

Russ