Re: [EAI] Last Call: draft-ietf-eai-framework (Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email) to Informational RFC

At 8:44 PM +0100 1/17/07, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

 (3) In section 4.3:
     the risk should be
    minimized by the fact that the selection of submission servers are
    presumably under the control of the sender's client and the selection
    of potential intermediate relays is under the control of the
    administration of the final delivery server.

    [snip]

    For situations in which a client encounters a server that does not
    support UTF8SMTP, there are basically two possibilities:

    o  Reject the message or generate and send a non-delivery message,

    [snip]

    o  Figure out a way to downgrade the envelope or message body in

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but in light of the first quoted sentence, the two possible actions can be augmented by another approach: try an alternate MX host and/or requeue the message and try later. That is, because the mail path is normally under administrative control of the end points or their organizations, it may be reasonable to conclude that UTF8SMTP is normally supported along this path, and if a system is encountered which doesn't support it, this may be a temporary failure. Obviously, if this is tried but persistently fails, one of the other two methods must be used.

 (This could also be mentioned in the smtpext document.)

I haven't seen that possibility raised. I'm somewhat skeptical that it would be an improvement (it makes the delay before error reporting variable), but it's worth a discussion. WG?

If it is a temporary failure, and the message is sent successfully after retrying, then it was a good thing to do. If there is always an ASCII-only SMTP server in the path, then retrying only adds delay to the failure. So: is it advisable for a system to be optimistic that the message will be able to be sent? I think so, as the document says:

   the fact that the selection of submission servers are
   presumably under the control of the sender's client and the selection
   of potential intermediate relays is under the control of the
   administration of the final delivery server.

This makes the most sense when sending non-ASCII to non-ASCII, I think. It also makes sense when sending ASCII to non-ASCII and the sender's submission server is UT8SMTP compliant. I'd probably not do it when sending non-ASCII to ASCII.

In any event, I think this is a quality-of-implementation thing: it should be suggested by the documents but certainly not required for compliance.
--
Randall Gellens