Re: Last Call: draft-legg-xed-asd (Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X)) to Proposed Standard

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:38:16 +0100
Simon Josefsson <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Simon, you are mixing several issues in your note, including
> > strictly legal issues and personal preferences.
>
> I bring up only one issue here: Can implementers extract and use the
> ASN.1 module for their implementations legally?
>
> > Firstly, it is clear that you (and every other implementor using
> > this document) needs the ability to extract and use the ASN.1
> > include in the document.  That is already provided for in BCP 78.
> > The text he included is exactly the text that BCP 78 tells him to
> > include to do that.  So there is no problem there.
>
> I explained in my note that BCP 78 does _not_ provide for that.  If
> you disagree with that, I think you need to show where BCP 78 gives
> third parties the right to extract and use the ASN.1 module.

And as you very well know, the IPR working group is fixing the
problem.  I think a pointer to the archives there would have sufficed
(or at least a mention of the discussion and status).