Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security (Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP) to Informational RFC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Dave Crocker wrote:

> As has been clear for some time, the OPES topic is both important and
> difficult.  That sort of combination always makes want to look for some
> history of exerience with ways to solve the current problem. In the case
> of OPES, I do not know of a qualifying history, nor do I see the effort
> to build something based on such experience.

The closest history I can think of is the sendmail milter interface, and
the clamav and spamassasin interfaces. All of these are implementation-
specific: the Milter interface is exported as an API, not a protocol, and
the other two are essentially application-internal interfaces. Milters are
closest to what OPES is trying to do, but AFIK not quite as ambitious:
geared for content *filtering* not *adaptation*. So I agree that OPES
doesn't seem to be based on any well-developed experience.

> If the current document is intended as a case analysis for a particular
> application -- namely email -- to serve as *input* to the design of the OPES
> architecture and protocols, then I do not see how the current document
> achieves that.

I believe it's intended to fit the existing OPES architecture to SMTP.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
FAEROES: WESTERLY BECOMING CYCLONIC 7 TO SEVERE GALE 9, PERHAPS STORM 10