Re: ion-ion-store open for public comment

This document describes a process for managing a set of documents. IMHO, it is a bit onerous; I may be ignorant, but I don't know how to get an account on tools.ietf.org, and I'm not sure that having ssh access to the machine is necessary. Approaches used by common blogging and wiki software seem sufficient for most practical purposes.

Also, I seem to have managed to miss the fundamental set of reasons that this is set up. RFC 4693 discusses having something less permanent than and RFC and more referenceable than an internet draft. Well, ok, but for what purpose? http://tools.ietf.org/html/<draft name> gives us a permanent record of the most recent and each step in an internet draft's development. For example, you might check

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-02
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-02
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-03
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-04
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4542

So internet drafts, however ephemeral we claim them to be, are versioned and referenceable. I don't know that the final step (the RFC) is any less permanent than the history we maintain of the drafts leading up to it.

The great value I see mentioned is that it is in HTML and can reference images. Personally, expanding our rules on internet drafts to allow for these seems sufficient to me. Or asserting that posting of a PDF that allows for "grabbing" of text, which we in fact already do, would be a good thing. I am very much in favor of xml2rfc- generated HTML files, which I find easier on the eyes than text format.

In short, under what circumstances would I post an ION instead of an internet draft? Why would I refer to an ION rather than an internet draft? This looks like a solution in search of a problem, but I'm willing to be told I'm missing something.

/lost in a maze of twisty passages, all of them different but looking remarkably similar...