Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys

>It isn't a trivial technical problem to revise the electronic message
>infrastructure to arrange for payment of postage but to assert that it
>can't be done or wouldn't be deployed flys in the face of the relatively
>short time frame for adoption of the WWW or IM.

If I had a tenth of a cent for every time someone assumed the
existence of a global low-cost highly reliable micropayment clearing
system, it wouldn't matter, because there is no such a system and
never will be, so I couldn't collect it anyway.

The problems that make e-postage impossible are entirely unlike the
ones that might have faced WWW and IM.  It's basically a banking
problem, not a software or networking problem.  I wrote a white paper
a couple of years ago that laid out the situation, which only needs
some minor updates to make the numbers even less favorable than they
were then.  Visit http://www.taugh.com, where it's white paper #1 near
the bottom of the page.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.