RE: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys

> From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:jhutz@xxxxxxx]

> As is my usual practice, I asked the post office to hold my
> mail while I was away at IETF 67 (this is a standard service
> offered by the US Postal Service at no charge).  I took some
> time off after, so when I finally picked up my mail, it was
> about 3 weeks worth.  I received a plastic shopping bag full
> of mail, and after I sorted through it, I had several bills
> and a grand total of three other pieces, all of which were
> prearranged (an issue of QST, a newsletter, and an
> invitation).  The rest of the bag was spam.

I agree that this demonstrates that the 'charge per email' schemes that people have don't work.

But if postal mail recipients could impose filters they would.

And there is in point of fact an entire police force tracking down scam artists using the postal mail.