Re: SMTP compared to IM (Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys)

Actually, as I fuzzily recall in the 1986 - 1992-ish period, MCImail had a
large presence for business messaging and CompuServe had a lion's share of
consumer messaging.

Before the flames go on, realize that (1) my memory is fuzzy and (2) the
market was seriously fractured.  The large enterprise market was doing the
Notes thing; the small enterprise market was doing the cc:mail, netware,
etc. thing, and interoperability was something that people gave lip service
to.

What a difference five years made!  By 1996, pretty much everyone
interoperated with Internet Mail.