Re: Last Call: 'Progressive Posting Rights Supsensions' to BCP (draft-carpenter-rescind-3683)

On Monday, October 23, 2006 04:14:10 PM -0400 John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

(1) Any language in 3683 that appears to limit other actions
with regard to mailing list abuse needs to be overridden.

Agree. IMHO this is by far the most important part of Brian's proposal, or of its intent, anyway.

(2) We should let the experiment of 4633 run its course before
doing major retuning.

Agree.

(3) 3683, at least for the present, should remain on the table.
(4) It seems to me that the arguments that we should not permit
indefinite (or very long) suspensions without some more formal
action and opportunity for community comment have merit.

3683 is a _very_ big hammer. Such tools should not be difficult to use, but they should not be used without careful consideration of whether they are appropriate. You can do a lot of damage trying to use s sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail.

I don't think the PR-action mechanism needs to be rescinded, but I do think it needs to be used with care, and I definitely think we need alternatives.

-- Jeff