Re: Last Call: 'Progressive Posting Rights Supsensions' to BCP (draft-carpenter-rescind-3683)

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx>
To: "IETF-Announce" <ietf-announce@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 12:29 AM
Subject: Last Call: 'Progressive Posting Rights Supsensions' to BCP
(draft-carpenter-rescind-3683)

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
> the following document:
>
> - 'Progressive Posting Rights Supsensions '
>    <draft-carpenter-rescind-3683-03.txt> as a BCP
>    This document abolishes the existing form of indefinite Posting
>    Rights Action and restores the previous option of finite posting
>    rights suspensions authorized by an Area Director.  It obsoletes RFC
>    3683 and updates RFC 2418 and RFC 3934.
>
>    Publication of this document will classify RFC 3683 as historic.

> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> iesg@xxxxxxxx or ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2006-11-17.
>
> During IESG evaluation, an AD raised the concern that the
> consensus shown during the last call of this document might not be
> strong enough to justify approval. In order to determine the strength
> of the consensus, the IESG asks the community to focus on the following
> questions in last call responses:
>
> 1) Do you support the proposal in section 2 of the draft to restore
> the AD and IESG's ability to suspend posting rights for longer than
> 30 days and to approve alternative methods of mailing list control
> as originally documented in RFC 2418?

Not as it is documented in this I-D; the wording is not careful enough - eg
RFC2418 spells out that direct communication should be off list; RFC3934 may
have removed this but it should reinstated to improve clarity.

> 2) Do you support the proposal in section 3 to rescind RFC 3683?

No; RFC3683 does not remove or modify the toolkit available, it adds a new one.
The bald statement that the present IESG have found it
'troublesome and contentious in practice'
is inadequate to justify its repeal.

> 3) Do you have any concerns about approving one part of the draft
> without approving the other?

Yes, most definitely.

> 4) Do you have any other comments on the document?

Rather than patch RFC2418, that RFC should be reissued; this is a key process
for the IETF and we should not have to try and work out from multiple RFC what
the current state is.

Tom Petch