Re: draft-iesg-discuss-criteria

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> You are confusing the normal balloting process with the alternative one.

s/confusing/comparing/ - assuming that "yes + no objection" end up as "yes",
and "discuss + abstain" as "no".  Skipping Brian's "R" to get 14 ballots.

> there is no reason to assume that someone who voted "yes" or
> "no-objection" under the normal procedure will vote "yes" under the
> alternative procedure.

Sure, they can change their mind, the "abstain" also doesn't necessarily
end up as "no" if it's as you say a weak "abstain".  But apparently the
"at most 2 NO" limit in the I-D was designed for an IESG with 9 members,
not 15.

> Since ceil(14*2/3) == 10, that means that publishing the document would
> require at least 10 "yes" votes and not more than 2 "no" votes.

Yes, 11:3 would fail, 3 "no" have a veto in this procedure.  But it was
apparently tuned for 6:3, not 11:3 or even 12:3 (= 80% majority blocked
by 20%).

> the alternative balloting procedure is intended to be applied as a last
> resort, when it is clear that the AD holding the discuss and the WG or
> individual who submitted the document cannot reconcile their differences

Yes, that's clear, I only looked at it again because the DISCUSS in this
example explicitly mentioned the discuss-criteria I-D.  Nothing's wrong
if folks who think "no" can say "no" when asked.  But maybe they won't
if this can have the dubious side-effect of a 20% veto.

Frank