Re: draft-iesg-discuss-criteria (was: [...] DISCUSS: draft-carpenter-rescind-3683)

At 11:12 PM -0400 10/19/06, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>(presumably, an IESG member having only weak objections would enter an "abstain",

This is not what an abstain means in the IESG's procedures.    The text
from http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/voting-procedures.txt says:

> - "Abstain" means "I cannot vote to send this document forward."
>    There are two obvious reasons one might vote this way:
>	- so strongly opposed to document that I am unwilling to "discuss".
>	  (note that this should be very unusual)
>	- I oppose this document for some philosophical reason but
>	  understand that others differ and am not going to stand
>	  in the way of the others

In the normal case, the "Comments" field will indicate why an
AD decided to abstain.

Note that a large number of Abstains sends a document back to
the working group.  Unlike recuse positions, which are not counted
in the 2/3 totals, abstains are counted along with yes, no objection,
and discuss.

			Ted Hardie