Re: DNS pollution

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Edward Lewis wrote:
> > At 23:37 -0700 10/11/06, Stephen Casner wrote:
> >
> > >connect to 127.0.0.1 on the forwarded port number.  I don't know why,
> > >but Pine does a DNS lookup on 127.0.0.1.  My problems arose when the
> >
> > Sounds like an application layer implementation defect.  The problem
> > could be solved by reporting the bug to the developers.
>
> I have now been informed that if I had enclosed the 127.0.0.1 in
> square brackets then Pine would not looked it up as a name.
>
> This potential for misinterpretation has probably not been seen as a
> problem because on many systems the DNS resolver will recognize the
> string as an address rather than a name and not do a forward lookup.
> The system on which this problem was observed was Windows-98.

	getaddrinfo() and getnodebyname() are both defined to accept
	literal addresses and return them.  As far as I am aware
	there is no such requirement for gethostbyname() though
	some implementations do detect when addresses are passed
	in.

	The original way to detect a IP address was to look for digit
	as the first character.  This changed with RFC 1123 which extend
	the hostname syntax to allow zeros at the start of labels.

>                                                         -- Steve

ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DHCP.  Email training@xxxxxxxx
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx