Re: DNS pollution

> --On Wednesday, 11 October, 2006 21:59 +0200 Stephane Bortzmeyer
> <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:03:24PM -0400,
> >  Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> >  a message of 28 lines which said:
> >
> >> In the past month or so I've run across two separate ISPs
> >> that are apparently polluting the DNS by returning A records
> >> in cases where the authoritative server would either return
> >> NXDOMAIN or no answers.
> >
> > Today, it is quite common and it becomes more and more common.
> >
> >> Is there anything that IETF as an organization, or IETF
> >> participants, can do to discourage this?
> >
> > Producing a RFC 4084bis is, IMHO, the best way to go.
> > Currently, RFC 4084 does not address this issue, only a
> > related issue:
> >
> >>   o DNS support.
> >>      Are users required to utilize DNS servers provided by
> >>      the service provider, or are DNS queries permitted to
> >>      reach arbitrary servers?
> >
> > So, there is IMHO a good reason to upgrade the RFC.

> I think there are several other reasons as well.   If we were
> doing 4084 over again based on what I think we know today, I'd
> recommend putting less emphasis on email issues --or even moving
> them to a separate, supplemental, document-- and doing more work
> on DNS tricks, the behavior of hidden and/or mandatory proxies
> (if I recall, 4084 doesn't go further than a requirement that
> they be identified), and preferential treatment of customers,
> content providers, or applications (more or less the "net
> neutrality" discussion, plus some issues about who gets hurt if
> QoS options are provided to some customers and the relevant
> network starts getting short of capacity or other resources).

> But, while I could get up the energy to cheer if someone else
> felt like doing the work, I'm personally disinclined to reopen
> 4084, or to try to persuade the IESG to do so, unless someone
> can show where it is actually being used enough to do some good
> and/or provide a persuasive argument about where it would be
> used if identifiable changes were made.

Agreed on all points. But another and IMO more serious issue with attempting to
address this in RFC 4084bis is that a document entitled "Terminology for
Describing Internet Connectivity" isn't where I'd be inclined to look for rules
regarding DNS operations.

IMO this is a sufficiently serious issue that it needs to be dealt with in a
separate document that addresses it specifically. I'd be happy to try and
contribute to such a document.

				Ned