Re: DNS pollution

Keith Moore wrote:

> this is fraud and unfair trade practice in addition to being a security
> threat (as people give their passwords when trying to connect to the
> wrong site) and harmful to applications (either because they do connect
> to a protocol engine on the wrong server, or they try to connect to a
> nonexistent protocol engine on the wrong server and treat the
> "connection refused" or "connection timed out" condition as a temporary
> error)

+1

> I think it will take more than just an RFC to get this practice stopped.

If users are not more free to pick a trustworthy DNS server very easily
it's bad.  With my vintage '94 setup I'm still forced to configure the
IPs manually, that's hilarious, but it also has some advantages, I know
which servers I (try to) use.  If there's anything that could be done in
the PPP RFCs please do.

More random thoughts:  Wrt to search.travel ICANN ran or runs a poll how
to deal with this wannabe-museum-site-finder reincarnation.  Then there's
an RFC about "full Internet providers", maybe that has to be updated with
a statemement why lying DNS servers won't do.  Outside of the IETF maybe
some kind of "dns-ignorant.org" could offer a public hall of shame (?)

Frank