Re: As Promised, an attempt at 2026bis

John,

Rather than discuss what's hyperbole and what's not, I direct your
attention to http://www.ofcourseimright.com/pages/lear/spy.jpg.  One
could argue that things worked about  as one would have expected perhaps
through 1996 for draft standard.  Beyond that it's clear that things
went off the rail.  For full, it's hard to argue they were ever really
on the rail.  Either that or we're truly producing a lot of schlock.  I
don't believe the latter.  I think in general we're doing good work, and
decruft hinted at that (although it couldn't conclusively demonstrate it
because of the bounds of the experiment).

For what it's worth, the methodology used was gluing bibliographical
lines together from rfc-index.txt and then grepping "$YEAR." and each
standard level out, followed by a word count for the result.  This might
possibly under-report PS documents that have been marked Historic
through the decruft experiment.  I haven't checked.  Code available upon
request.

My point here is that the three step process is not used as intended.
Existing practice clearly demonstrates that the vast majority of our
work - far more than intended - never reaches beyond PS.  This is
reality.  Simply documenting that fact in a new RFC2026bis would be to
say, "Our standards are broken and we know they're broken."  That's not
what motivated me to write a draft.  What motivated me to write a draft
was that it's important that we say what we do and we do what we say.
The 2nd step for me is a compromise, on the off chance someone really
wants to demonstrate a higher level of interoperability, but the
economic motivations not to mention the headaches involved with getting
there do not lead me to have a lot of faith that it will be used
either.  But that didn't stop me from including it.

Finally, I have no vote on the IESG, nor does my co-author.  Our work
carries only the moral authority you and others believe it should.  The
phrase "send text" is an invitation to the community to make it and our
current state of affairs better, and by no means a threat.  Rough
consensus prevents most dumb ideas from getting through, but not all.  I
share your concerns that it is possible to make things worse, and I
trust you'll be vocal as you have been if you believe that we're moving
in the wrong direction.

Eliot