Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

--On Wednesday, 27 September, 2006 14:33 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IMHO this is fundamentally a very dubious option because DNS
> is the authoritative source of name-to-address mappings, and
> the way to find out what DNS name is assigned to a particular
> network address is to query the DNS for PTR records at the
> appropriate in-addr.arpa or ip6.arpa locations.
> Also, one should be careful to avoid making the assumption
> that a host has a single FQDN, or even a distinguished FQDN,
> or that an FQDN maps to at most one host.  None of these is
> true in practice.

Ok.

We are now up to two independent issues.  Perhaps it is useful
to identify them separately, either to focus discussion or to
swiftly send this document back to the relevant WG (see below)
for further consideration and rewriting.  I recommend the
second, if only because the IETF list is a lousy place to either
edit document or to resolve specific design issues.

Issue 1: Even if the option is desirable and the motivation for
it is clear, the specification is inadequate in definitions and
specificity in this particular document.   I believe that there
is no longer any real controversy on that matter and that the
issue suggests, and perhaps requires,  ending the Last Call and
returning the document to the authors.  Further kicking of that
dead horse on this list is unlikely to accomplish much of
anything, IMO.

Issue 2: We should, IMO, be taking the transition of DHCP from
IPv4 to IPv6 as an opportunity --I would hope a mandate-- to
review old options to see if they have been proven in use and
have sufficient mandate from user communities, whether they can
be combined or better optimized, and whether they are
appropriate in an IPv6 world.  Whether one agrees with Keith's
conclusions (and not just the ones I've quoted above for
context) or not, I think he is clearly suggesting the right
questions. Those questions deserve careful consideration and
response (with "we did this before" or "we are already on that
path" not being considered a proper response).

Certainly the charter of the DHC WG doesn't contain "mindlessly
move options from v4 to v6".

This is up to the ADs and relevant WG Chairs, but, IMO, given
the issues DHC charter and other, the right WG to review the
mandate for this proposal (and Keith's comments) would be one
involved in DNS and DNS usage.  My instinct is like Keith's
conclusion: I'd like to see one "return FQDN" option, possibly
with some syntax to specify "don't have a clue about the
hostname", rather than a bunch of options to return various
pieces of domain names.  There may be perfectly good reasons to
not do that but it seems to me that those reasons need to be in
the province of either DNS-related WGs or of some group(s) in
the Applications Area that actually has to _use_ this stuff, not
simply defaulting to these options because the DHC WG (clearly)
has the ability to define something or has done so before.

   john