Re: Last Call: 'Progressive Posting Rights Supsensions' to BCP (draft-carpenter-rescind-3683)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:04:55PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Folks, we've received very little feedback on this document.  I'd like
> to see more discussion--so if you have reviewed this document please
> drop the iesg or ietf lists a quick note; perhaps you can even tell us
> what you think.

I like the obvious effect which is intended by
draft-carpenter-rescind-3683-01.txt, but I think the text could be
better worded and the way it goes about what it is trying to do could
be better.  In particular:

   Suspensions
   longer than one month have been found to be necessary, so [RFC3934]
   shall not be interpreted to prevent the Area Director, with the
   approval of the IESG, from authorizing posting rights suspensions of
   increasing length upon the request of a Working Group Chair, i.e.,
   the Area Director's power under [RFC2418] section 3.2 is reinstated
   at the time of approval of this document.

RFC 3934 shall not be __interpreted__?  Let's look at the relevant
wording of RFC 3934, section 2:

   As a last resort and typically after
   one or more explicit warnings and consultation with the responsible
   Area Director, the WG chair may suspend the mailing list posting
   privileges of the disruptive individual for a period of not more than
   30 days.

It's very hard to interpret away something as explicit as "not more
than 30 days".  Using cute language such as "shall not be interpreted"
is just an invitation for net.lawyers to waste more time of the IESG
and IAB in arguments and appeals.

I would suggest having draft-carpenter-rescined-3683 also obsolete RFC
3934; it's not that long, so including the two paragraphs from RFC
3934 and then modifying them is probably going to be better than
trying to have one RFC try to impose an interpretation which is
counter to the "plain english" language of "not more then 30 days" and
trying to claim that "not more than 30 days" shouldn't be interpreated
as "not more than 30 days".

Let's not do the "Words mean whatever I want them to mean" trick....

						- Ted