Re: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

Brian,
> But I think there is a message here - badly phrased perhaps - that
> running code is needed for such proposals to be thoroughly considered.
> Suppose there was a proposal that all RFCs should be sourced as XML
> files. We have a lot of running code to measure that proposal against.
> Douglas Otis started work on running code for his alternative to ISDs.
> I'm sure that's the best way to bring ideas in this space forward.

In general I agree that running code is the strongest indicator - one
way or another.  This having been said, process experiments with the
document series are troublesome, because at the end of the experiment we
are left in a situation where we have to clean it up, usually by further
annotating the documents in some way that hopefully does not go against
the intentions of prior decisions.  Tricky stuff.

I am in favor, instead, of an evolution as opposed to revolution.  Let
me stop there.  I'll have a draft in the coming days over which we can
further debate.

Eliot