Re: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

Eliot Lear wrote:
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

We could argue this interminably or you could simply grasp the nettle
and align theory with reality.

It was clear in Montreal that there is no community consensus to spend
effort on doing this, so we have closed down this avenue for now.

I'm sorry, Brian, but this answer is truly unacceptable.  Reality is
that our 3 step process is not functioning as documented.  We thought we
were fixing it in NEWTRK, but you shut down that group.  Please tell me
and the rest of the community what path you expect to correct the
error.  If you don't have a proposal I will have one of my own.

I'm not sure that I can say it more clearly than I did the first time.
I do not believe there is enough interest in this problem in the
community to invest effort in fixing it. That is quite distinct from
whether you, I or a number of other individuals believe it needs fixing.

I think you weren't in Montreal. You might want to check
the plenary minutes at http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/plenaryw.html
or listen to the audio at
ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/pub/videolab/media/ietf66/ietf66-ch5-wed-plenary.mp3

If you can build a strong constituency for a given proposal,
that might change things. But over the last few years, I haven't
seen more than a few people supporting any given proposal,
including ones that I've made, and that doesn't cut it for
something that affects every single WG.

    Brian