Re: RFC 2195 (Was: what happened to newtrk?)

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> Multiple interoperable implementations is not the
[only]
> criteria for advancement; it is necessary but not
> sufficient

2026 says "mature, useful, well-understood, stable."
A downref to SASLprep for a 2195bis DS would be odd,
in that case better publish 2195bis as PS.

> The working group decided, due to a variety of
> considerations, not to pursue publication of the
> new document on the standards track, and instead
> to ask that it be published as Informational.

That's the case "informational obsoletes PS".  How's
that supposed to work wrt BCP 46, ACAP, and ODMR ?

> an argument that it should be assigned a status other
> than that requested by the working group would be an
> appropriate subject for a Last Call comment.

Yes.  That solves also Sam's problem, he can change his
vote when that will happen (and if it gets traction).

> I think this is perhaps the crux of the matter.  I do
> not believe that every old specification should be
> advanced along the standards track simply because it
> has been around a while and has multiple implementations.

+1 for the second statement.  The crux of the matter from
my POV is elsewhere, CRAM-MD5 is the best existing ESMTPA
mechanism in "real" MSAs I'm aware of.  For a definition
of "best" by "sending passwords in the clear isn't state
of the art".

> Advancing a specification to Draft Standard sends the
> signal that the IETF thinks the specification is a good
> idea and that people should deploy it.

IMHO that's why CRAM-MD5 as DS would be good, maybe some
implementors would care to read the second statement in
its security considerations.

You could add some MUSTard about this in a 2195bis draft.

Frank