RE: RFC 2195 (Was: what happened to newtrk?)

> From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> At 04:07 PM 9/7/2006, John C Klensin wrote:
> >I think we have a small misunderstanding here.  Let me say more
> >clearly and briefly
>
> My message was intended to clarify why the SASL WG is
> pursuing an Informational recommendation for its RFC2195bis
> work and to redirect any comments specific to this work to
> the WG's list.

Well, if I remember correctly, there was ample discussion of this topic
during the IETF meeting in Paris -- both Steve Bellovin and I presented
the issues with such techniques. Basic challenge response mechanisms
like CRAM-MD5 are simply too weak to be used on the Internet. They are
subject to dictionary attacks, which can retrieve the password in a very
short time. They don't deserve much more than documentation for
historical purpose.

-- Christian Huitema