Re: what happened to newtrk?

    John> Actually, that topic opens up one of the fundamental issues
    John> with our standards process ... one where better definition
    John> and clear community consensus is, IMO, needed.  Measured by
    John> our documented criteria, 2195 exists in multiple independent
    John> implementations, has been widely deployed, and is considered
    John> useful by many of those who are using it.  Current thinking
    John> in the security area is that it isn't much better than the
    John> use of clear-text passwords, but our formal definitions of
    John> the requirements for Draft Standard don't require that we
    John> recommend the use of the protocol involved: "Draft" and "Not
    John> Recommended" are perfectly consistent.

John, in principle I agree with you, but I'll point out there is a
huge lack of clarity around ASes.  It's hard for example to find ASes
for a given TS, and it would confuse people if something were a draft
standard and not recommended at the same time.  This is particularly
true given factors such as the rfc-index only lists the position along
the standards track, not the requirements level of the associated AS.

I would be all for draft but not recommended if we got to a point
where the users of our documents would understand what that meant.
I'm all for experiments--even ISD-like experiments--in organizing our
metadata and descriptions of standards so people could get these
points.  I don't have time to work on those experiments myself and so
until they succeed my preference is to be conservative.

    John> It is not consistent with our published policies as I read
    John> them to refuse to promote it to Draft simply because there
    John> is general feeling that security technology has passed it
    John> by.  But that is, I think, exactly what would happen today
    John> if the protocol were proposed for advancement.

OK.  I read RFC 2026 as giving the IESG the latitude to make a
judgment of the technical quality of a protocol (and the TS) when
advancing along the standards track.  I'd always assumed that the IESG
should include factors like security in that determination--not just
interoperability.  Heck, I even assumed it was reasonable to have a
higher bar for spec clarity at DS than PS.