Re: what happened to newtrk?

John C Klensin wrote:

> that topic opens up one of the fundamental issues with our
> standards process ... one where better definition and clear
> community consensus is, IMO, needed.

"Fundamental" and "consensus" sounds dangerous, see subject.

> 2195 exists in multiple independent implementations, has been
> widely deployed, and is considered useful by many of those
> who are using it.

Yes, easy to implement, better than PLAIN (outside of TLS).

> Current thinking in the security area is that it isn't much
> better than the use of clear-text passwords

Maybe they'll prove this in an understandable way, or offer it
as their opinion.  I could also offer an opinion about 6 to 10
parameters of DIGEST-MD5, its RFC 2069 fallback under certain
(TBD) conditions, the proposed backslash canonicalization, etc.

> the requirements for Draft Standard don't require that we
> recommend the use of the protocol involved: "Draft" and "Not
> Recommended" are perfectly consistent.

Good, let's keep say STD 20 as is, all its about 57 lines. :-)

Frank

http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/cram.xml