Re: Last Call: 'Procedures for protocol extensions and variations' to BCP (draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions)

On 9/6/06, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

HTTP proxies do exist but the only reason that they can work
effectively is that the vast majority of web resources are accessible
through a common medium - namely the public IPv4 Internet and TCP.

Right. But that is a natural occurrence, not the result of
bureaucratic demands for coordination. SMTP doesn't /require/ TCP
either, as I'm sure you know. I don't see a correlation between
protocol effectiveness and concrete transport protocol dependencies. I
also don't see a correlation between mandated "universal"
interoperability and protocol effectiveness.

Application protocols don't need to specify an entire protocol stack
to be successful.

--

Robert Sayre