Re: Last Call: 'Procedures for protocol extensions and variations' to BCP (draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions)

    Jefsey> At 21:56 05/09/2006, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> To be clear, I think I'm documenting what is a long-standing
    >> consensus in the IETF.  And I do consider it a bug that HTTP
    >> does not require TCP.  It's typical for protocols to require a
    >> transport.  For example , I believe SIP requires UDP (and
    >> possibly TCP).  Kerberos requires TCP.

    Jefsey> Why?

    Jefsey> What you want to say is that HTTP should require the
    Jefsey> features of a TCP or UDP like protocol.

Remember that interoperabality is defined by RFC 2026 in terms of the
ability to exchange one implementation for another.

  What I want to be able to do is to make a resource available via
http, and if I use only the mandatory features of the http spec, know
that you can resolve the URL regardless of what http implementation
you use.

I want to be able to give you a URL and have you resolve it.  That
only works if we speak the same transport protocol.

I want people to be able to reference HTTP and get interoperability,
not to have to write a profile of http.