RE: RFC 4612 - historic status

> Because the IESG believed that specifying an image format as an audio
subtype was to be discouraged, but should be documented for reference.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_comment&;
id=42143

> The standard MIME type for T.38 is image/t38 (RFC 3362).

I would agree if T.38 were an image type. It isn't.

The image format for group 3 faxes is given in T.4 and NOT in
T.30 (procedures for group 3 over PSTN) or T.38 (procedures for group 3
over IP).

Furthermore, T.38 specifically states that it
"defines the procedures to be applied to allow Group 3 facsimile
transmission between terminals
where in addition to the PSTN or ISDN a portion of the transmission path
used between terminals includes an IP
network, e.g. the Internet."

Note the statement "in addition to the PSTN ...".
T.38 presupposes that if one wants to transfer an image
over an IP network, then one would send an image file.

What T.38 does is to relay the T.30 fax (audio signals)
across an IP network.

In any case, as there is no IESG note at the beginning,
and no mention of the image/t38 MIME type anywhere,
the IESG's intent is not clear from the RFC.

On the contrary, one gets the feeling that the use of RTP
is being declared historic, leaving UDPTL.

Y(J)S